Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Absolute Beginner

I worked late and work early and need to be sleeping but it just doesn't seem to be coming to me tonight...so I thought I would write a brief update of my little life.

I quit Juice Magazine after two weeks. I won't go into the nitty gritty details...but it just wasn't right for me. In a lot of ways I pulled the rug out from under myself, but if I know anything it's to trust my instincts and keep my ideals.

A long and horrible job hunt followed this. Does anyone else find job hunting to be a very demeaning task? Please sir, let me do something any child with half a brain could do for a wage too small to live off of.

I am working some menial type jobs...at an Italian Restaurant as well as a clothing store...just some things to pay the rent and put food in my belly. I am a fan of the food as well as the clothes...so I'm content with patching together a living between the two for the time being.

After many topsy turvy weeks...i finally have a solid place to rest my head at a great house in East Hollywood (Thai Town) with two great young ambitious guys. There is a record player and no TV in the living room and I am just as happy as a pig in shit. I can reach outside my bedroom window and touch a big tall palm tree, which is very exciting for me. I am also a stones throw from the site where Charles Bukowski spent his hollywood days. Check the poem "hard times on Carlton Way"

Music and Writing projects are in the works but don't hold your breaths on anything because I am going to be taking my sweet sweet time and doing just what I want to do to entertain and challenge myself....so you may think the end results are crap anyways!~

Skating earthquaked sidewalks is a blast. I'm a cracked sidewalk surfer.

Live Your Dreams. Death is the Only Deadline.

MUSICAL Soundtrack to runaway days and runaway nights in Los Angeles:
Opals - "does it matter?" - this is the most played song in the living room! everyone loves it!
U Roy - Version Galore LP - The most played LP in the living room. Deep, Chill and Essential.
Prince Far I - Under Heavy Manners LP - Voice like thunder!
Max Romeo - War Inna Babylon LP
Real Life - "Send me an Angel" (can someone tell me what 80's movie this song was in?)
P.I.L. - "Rise"
INXS - "Don't Change"
Seaweed - "Start With"
John Holt - "hooligan"
Alton Ellis - "I'm still in love with you"
Pure Filth / SMOG / L.A. Dubstep
Fun Boy Three
Santo and Johnny
Surf Instrumentals
The Moth - Live at King King (Storytelling competition...check out the podcast)
Part Time Punks Radio Show
Fania All Stars - Live LP (Brazil!)
Brooks Strause - The Misanthrope and His Doubtful Faith
Fishbone - S/T
Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Bug feat. Warrior Queen - Live!
Percy Sledge - "At the Dark End of the Street"
Fucked Up - The Chemistry of Common Life (this is so goddamned good. Hats off. NME cover!)
Velvet Underground & Nico
Middle Class - Out of Vogue 7"
Spanish Bombs - Beasts: Man is God
Ben Driscoll - "Sinkin my Lincoln" and "Long Shallow Dive"

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first movie that came to mind was "The Wizard" (1989 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098663/ ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omVCJHohjpc&feature=related


After a little bit of Googling I found out that it was also featured in movies "RAD" (1986) and "Teen Wolf" (1985).

Also, where can I find the new Spanish Bombs material?!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first movie that came to mind was "The Wizard" (1989 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098663/ ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omVCJHohjpc&feature=related


After a little bit of Googling I found out that it was also featured in movies "RAD" (1986) and "Teen Wolf" (1985).

Also, where can I find the new Spanish Bombs material?!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Arcturus said...

"Death is the only deadline."
What a mantra.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Arcturus said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Arcturus said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:22 PM  
Blogger socialgerm said...

U Roy is awesome. I've been digging that and alot of Toots lately as well. Check out the band Surf Punks and the album "my beach, my wave" i think you'll find it pretty entertaining

11:02 PM  
Blogger Pyrrhus Darwin Castello said...

This post read like a old diary entry from the 1980's. Which is sign of something big.

Arrived in the big shit. Saw T.S.O.L last night. Felt like I was in LA. As I was. Fucking head trip. Living in this small flat with two other guys. Can wait to go see Black Flag! What a head trip...

11:59 AM  
Anonymous selina said...

damn it jeff why are you so awesome?? i got real giddy when you said you were working on some music projects. youre a simple guy but youre my hero... with sex appeal.
keep in touch. -selina g.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home