Friday, October 06, 2006

Let's Talk About Music

These are a couple friends of mine and I've been listening to their new stuff a lot...check it out...
Brooks Strause - New Solo Songs www.myspace.com/brooksstrause
Ben Driscoll - New Solo Songs www.myspace.com/allrattleanddust

I discovered some Joe Strummer songs i never knew about on the soundtrack to a movie called "Permanent Record" The group is Joe Strummer and the Latino Rockabilly War and there are four songs "Trash City" "Baby the Trans" "Nefertiti Rock" and "Nothin' Bout Nothin"
Also...the Joe Strummer late career documentary DVD is out and it's called Lets Rock Again! Mostly on the road stuff with the Mescaleros. If you are a clash fan and haven't given the mescaleros a fair chance you really should. Rock Art and the X-Ray Style, Global A Go Go and Streetcore are all amazing unique albums.

I just watched the cult classic The Commitments which is a story about a white soul band from Dublin. I got re-introduced to some great soul classics like Percy Sledge - "Dark End of the Street" and Otis Redding - "Mr Pitiful"

I've also been watching the showtime series Weeds is smart and hilarious and has a great soundtrack...prompting me to download Marion Black - "Who Knows" and Rilo Kiley - "With Arms Outstretched" RJD2 sampled that Marion Black song for "Smoke and Mirrors" on his debut Deadringer.

I really like the new My Chemical Romance song "Welcome to the Black Parade" and i downloaded an album preview where the band talks about the new record and plays short clips of all the songs. That song has 167 tracks!! ridiculous!! They said that the album is influenced mostly by Pink Floyd - The Wall, The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and Queen - A Night At The Opera. I liked their last album too but this one is sounding quite a bit more musically ambitious and lyrically conceptual and I'm looking forward to sitting down and listening to the whole thing.

I am excited to get my hands on the new Hold Steady - "Boys and Girls in America" and of course Spanish Bombs - "S/T" (chunksaah/lifeline).

A-F Records re-released INQUISITION - "I think it's called inspiration" its a classic jam and i highly recommend it for fans of melodic hardcore punk music.

Other Shit on Rotation:
Avail - Over the James / Dixie
Social Distortion - Sex, Love and Rock and Roll
Tom Waits - Alice
JD's Pub Jukebox

5 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

Need to check out the Strummer dvd as well as the Commitments again-haven't seen that in years.

See you in Sioux Falls.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Etienne said...

I'm getting both the new Spanish Bombs CD and The Hold Steady CD.

They both sound like they're going to be fucking great albums.

I've always loved Craig Finn.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous johnthepunk said...

I'll have to look out for those Joe rockabilly trax.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Johan prenger said...

Good to see there's more HUGE fans of My Chemical Romance!

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Hannahbelle said...

I've been listening to All Rattle and Dust from a couple of tracks Justin Lindholm gave me awhile back, and I've been spreading them around campus. I'm working on getting a radio show and planning on trying to get them on it next semester.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home