Sunday, April 09, 2006

Tonight's Playlist and ranting

Hanging out at the practice space for a few hours again tonight...

Moss Icon LP
Prince Far I - Heavy Manners 45
William Elliot Whitmore - Ashes to Dust LP
Old Scratch Revival Singers - Oh, Didn't He Ramble LP
Joy Division - Komakino/Incubation (flexi single)
Maggie Estep - "Skid Row Wine"

I go back to my old painting job tomorrow morning bright and early after lots of touring overseas. I can't say that i'm thrilled about it...but I think work is good for the soul...and I think my writing will suffer if I were to allow myself to lose touch with the realities of life and get lost in rock and roll never never land.
I've just finished some heavy books so i've been reading magazines and comic books to unwind a bit. I got an issue of Punk ROck Confidential..which is just like a tabloid/gossip rag...only..punk rock. It's terribly cheesy and stupid and I love it. On a beer run to Kum and Go (yes, that is a real gas station/convenience store in Iowa!!) i saw that there was an interview with John Doe of the legendary X in the new Hardcore Ink. He mentions how he listens to Death Cab For Cutie with his kids. It's so damn funny...here's a guy who played some of the best guitar and wrote some of the best songs of the early California punk scene...and now he's a dad listening to Death Cab For Cutie with his kids. I've never been one of those snobby punk rock purists...but I bet reading something like that would really get under their skin. Other than that I've been re-reading all my Optic Nerve comics.

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE COMMENTS!!! I love hearing from everybody. I accidentally changed my settings and they stopped showing for a while...but i got it fixed and they all popped up at once.

4 Comments:

Blogger Etienne said...

As much as people hate Death Cab For Cutie, I can see him jamming to that with his kids. I bet if I ever have kids that I won't like 75% of the shit my kids will listen to. It's that 25% of enjoyable stuff that will make listening to music with them a pleasure though. My father and I never really listened to much music together... the stuff we bonded on was mostly classic rock like The Who and Hendrix. My favourite CD to listen with him is Chuck Berry though, hands down.
He just doesn't get hardcore, he's a rock n'roll and blues man. Did you ever listen to tunes with your old man?

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better be keeping up with The Soprano's.

-Prince Jenny

7:13 PM  
Blogger Witness said...

etienne...
My dad would always play springsteen on vacation and i hated that shit...since then i found out how dead on my old man was and I'm glad he planted that seed in me. This year for christmas he bought me a new copy of "nebraska"
Prince Jenny...
You know i'm keeping up with Sopranos. Johnny Sack cried like a little bitch in front of everyone!! And Vito definitely offed himself in that motel room...I guess that's what happens when you go out at night and play big italian mafia gay-sex cop.

8:48 PM  
Blogger loveless. said...

it's hard to fault john doe for listening to DCFC with his kids considering how awesome that band is... regardless of how much some people love to hate them.

s. kane

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home